Bloomin’ Metric, Sunday, May 20, 2018
Connecticut’s Premier Cycling Tour
Sherwood Island State Park Westport, CT
Novice to Advanced Cyclists
- Cycle Along Stunning Beaches and Through Classic New England Countryside
- 4 Fully Supported Routes – From Short n’ Sweet to See-It-All
- Food Trucks, Live Music, Ice Cream and More!
- Easy Access from I-95 and Metro-North
- Over 2500 Cyclists
NEW THIS YEAR
- Pre-Bloomin Cycling Seminars and Training Rides Jan. – May
- Sound Cyclists Bicycle Club Trial Membership, 350+ rides & events Jan – May
- In-Shop Bike Inspection at 36 local bike shops
- Less Experienced Cyclist Support
- Bike Rental at Sherwood Island Park or nearby Metro-North station
- Cyclist-Friendly Hotel
Registration and Payment
Register Early and Save! Registration Fee Covers:
- All the Bloomin’ Metric Rides and Activities
- Trial Membership in Sound Cyclists Bicycle Club through May 2018 – Rides, Events, Seminars & Training
Registration Fee per Person
$55 through February 28
$65 March 1 – April 15
$75 April 16 through sell-out
NOTE: Limited or no availability for day-of-ride registration
Organize a Group of friends/co-workers! Register at least 10 and get one free registration
Jersey/Kit: Official Bloomin’ Metric Clothing! Order by April 9, mailed to you May 11
Hotel, Bike Rentals Reserve early
CHECK-IN: Sunday, May 20 – from 6:30 am to 9 am
Registration Opens by January 22nd
4 incredible, well-marked routes along beautiful shores and through classic countryside. Routes will be finalized a week prior to the Bloomin’ with cue sheets, maps and GPX posted then
25 Km (15 miles)
40 Km (27 miles)
75 Km (48 miles)
100Km (63 miles)
Choose your route on the day of the Bloomin’. You can switch routes during the early portions of your ride as the routes overlap for a few miles.
Our routes have extensive ride marshal and police support to keep everything running smoothly and safely.
Your registration includes a day of fun and fitness plus activities and support from the day you register until the Bloomin’. Included are:
- 4 fully supported routes including rest stops with food/hydration, maintenance support and SAG wagons.
- Breakfast and lunch from local Food Trucks
- 350+ rides, events, cycling seminars and training with SCBC trial membership from January – May
- In-shop bicycle inspection available at 36 CT and NY metro area bike shops
- Less Experienced Rider support before and at Bloomin’
- Bloomin’ T-Shirt
- After-ride massage
- Live music
- Raffle with numerous prizes
- Parking at Sherwood Island
- Official Bloomin’ Metric jersey, shorts and bib
- Rental bikes: pick-up/drop-off at nearby Metro-North Green’s Farms RR station or at Sherwood Island. Reserve early.
- Cyclist-friendly hotel, a 15 minute drive from Sherwood Island.
Sheerwood Island State Park
- 6:30 am: Parking opens at Sherwood Island & breakfast
- 7:00 am: Check-in/Registration opens; you must bring your helmet.
- This ride is self-paced. It is NOT a race.
- There are NO official start times. Suggested start times:
- 100K (63 mi): 7 am to 7:30 am
- 75K (48 mi): 7:30 am to 9 am
- 40K (27 mi): 8:30 am to 9:30 am
- 25K (15 mi): 9 am to 10 am
- Optional for Less Experienced cyclists: 9:30 am ride on 25K (15 mi) route, led by experienced ride leaders, average speed 10mph.
- All routes overlap in the early miles. Deciding which distance to ride can be determined along the way.
- The 3 rest/food stops close at 2:00 pm. The 40K has 1 food stop, the 75K has 2 food stops and the 100K has 3 food stops.
- After your ride, participants enjoy free:
- Lunch from local Food Trucks. Use the stub on your bib for your lunch. Additional tickets available for purchase.
- Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream
- Live Music
Stay and enjoy the day at Sherwood Island!
SAVE THE STUBS!
Right below your bib number are stubs. One is for your lunch.
Have your bicycle inspected free! Participating bike shops provide free in-shop bike inspections to Bloomin’ registrants. Get your bike ready!
Use your 10% discount! Most participating bike shops provide a 10% discount on accessories See store for details; varies by store. Get yourself ready!
Support your local bike shop! There is no substitute for their expertise and advice – from selecting and fitting your bicycle to accessories and clothing. Plus, keeping your bike in top shape.
Participating Bike Shops in Connecticut and New York Metro Area
SCBC Events, Clinics, Weekly and Special Rides through May 2018
All are open to Bloomin’ Registrants
Schedule subject to change
Many additional rides and specific details in the SCBC Ride and Event Schedule. Accessible after you register.
|Tbd||Sat or Sun morning||Bloomin Metric Training Rides – Most paces, from 25K to 40K to 75K to 100K|
|May 6||Sunday morning||President’s New Member Rides|
|May 20||Sunday all day||Bloomin’ Metric|
|May 27||Sunday all day||Long Island Winery Rides|
|Jan 25||Thursday evening||Get into the Zone training with Indoor Trainer and Power Meter Clinic|
|Feb 22||Thursday evening||Garmin/Strava/RidewithGPS Clinic|
|Mar 15||Thursday evening||Rules of Road/Safe Ride Training|
|Mar 22||Thursday evening||Garmin/Strava/RidewithGPS Clinic|
|Mar 30||Friday evening||Spring Riding Kick-Off Dinner|
|Apr 15||Thursday evening||Defensive Bike Skill Training Clinic|
|May 6||Sunday morning||Group Riding Clinics|
|April, May tbd||tbd||
“New to Cycling” sessions – local YMCAs
“On the Road” tutorials – less experienced riders
SCBC Standing Group Rides
Weekly, beginning in Spring
Various ride levels for most rides
|Monday Recovery Ride||Mon evenings||New Canaan|
|Bino Ride||Tues evenings||Danny’s Cycles (Stamford)|
|Coleytown Pequot Ride||Tues mornings, evenings||Westport|
|Waveny Wonder||Wed mornings||Waveny Park (New Canaan)|
|Wednesday World||Wed evenings||Sherpa (Westport)|
|Longshore Ramble||Thur mornings||Longshore Park (Westport)|
|Taste of New Canaan||Thur evenings||New Canaan Bicycles|
|Up-Down Greenwich||Thur evenings||Dave’s Cycles (Greenwich)|
|Coastal Cruiser Coleytown||Thur evenings||Westport|
|Friday Evening Ride||Fri evenings||Darien|
|Early Bird||Sat mornings||Westport|
|Wilton Outdoor ride||Sun mornings||Outdoor Sports Center (Wilton)|
|Zane’s Training Ride||Sun mornings||Zane’s Cycles (Fairfield)|
- Hotel, Rental, Metro-North, Jersey/Kit
- Sound Cyclists Bicycle Club
- New to Recreational Cycling?
- Do I need a Helmet? Helmets are Mandatory, Helmets should be ANSI, SNELL or CPSC approved, and must be brought to the registration desk at check-in.
- What about traffic laws? Safety First! Cycling safety and strict adherence to all cycling rules of the road are imperative. Riding two, three and four abreast is a violation of traffic laws and safe riding practices. Not only does this put you at risk but also events like this. Be safe – be considerate.
- Refund Policy? This event is rain or shine. There are no refunds for this event. All registrations are final.
- Do I need to register before arrival? YES! Limited or no availability for new registrations at Sherwood Island
- How do I get there?
- Automobile: I-95 to Sherwood Island Exit 18. Drive south to Sherwood Island State Park (quarter mile).
- Metro-North: take train to Green’s Farms station and follow signs/directions to cycle 2 miles to Sherwood Island
- Are bicycles allowed on Metro-North trains? Yes, but limited in number. Please see the Metro-North website for more information
- Are there any age limits? We strongly encourage all participants to be at least 16. A waiver is needed for anyone under 16.
- When can I arrive at Sherwood Island? When is check-in?
- Arrive anytime after 6 am – breakfast available after 6:30 am
- Check-in begins at 7 am and closes 10 am
- Is this a race? NO, riders go at their own pace; there is no timing or monitoring of time
- What are suggested start times for my ride?
- 7:00 am to 7:30 am: 100K (63 miles)
- 7:30 am to 9:00 am: 75K (48 miles)
- 8:30 am to 9:30 am: 40K (27 miles)
- 9:00 to 10:00 am: 25K (15 miles)
- When will lunch be available at the Food Trucks? 11:30 am – approx. 3:00 pm
- Is there any storage in Sherwood Island? No, please keep all your personal items with you or in your automobile
- What if I ordered the wrong size jersey or clothing? Return to clothing vendor VoMax for exchange or exchange at Sherwood Island at our Bloomin’ clothing store (limited availability)
EVEN Hotel – 426 Main Ave., Norwalk, CT
15 min. drive to Sherwood Island Park
A cyclist-friendly, upscale hotel.
Check schedules and their policy on bicycles on trains.
Green’s Farms Metro-North station is 2 miles from Sherwood Island. Signs will be posted to direct you to the Park.
Official Bloomin’ Jersey and Kit
Order early to ensure delivery to you by Bloomin’ Day
Our Public Ride Schedule shows abbreviated ride, clinic and event listings one week out, with a contact person included. The Club Member version shows full listings several months out with route map and additional ride or event information. Members also can sign up for our chat room, which is used for club messages about rides, events and weather cancellations, and can join our very active Facebook page.
Almost all our rides, cycling seminars and events are free. Some special events have fees to cover meals and other expenses. MEMBERSHIP is $25 per year.
Interested in recreational road cycling but not sure how to start?
- In April and May, there are free educational sessions on Getting Started in Road Cycling that might be of interest.
- There is a special ride at the Bloomin’ Metric for new or less experienced riders
Getting Started in Road Cycling
1½-hour session for less experienced cyclists or those new to road cycling, this is a mixture of presentation/discussion/demonstration and provides a basic orientation into getting started and safe riding. Free! No registration required – just show up!
At Local YMCAs: April and May, dates/times tbd (check back for schedule)
- Safety First
- Getting Started With Your Bike Shop (Bike Selection, Accessories, Clothing, Nutrition/Hydration)
- Your Bicycle (Major Components, Maintenance Schedule)
- Operating your Bicycle
- Safe Cycling Practices (Alone, With Others)
At the Bloomin’ Metric
Join a group for the 25km (15 mile) ride, led by experienced ride leaders. Meet at 9:30 am near the Check-In location. Prior to the ride, there will be a brief orientation on Safety and Group Riding. Be sure your bicycle is in good working order before you arrive at the park. Not sure? Get a free inspection at 36 local bike shops. We strongly recomend all cyclists to be 16 or older at the Bloomin’, sorry no bicycle child/pet trailers are permitted.
Provided by Sound Cyclists Bicycle Club
Official Bloomin’ Metric Jersey, Bib, Shorts and Arm Warmers!
Order any or all by April 9, to be mailed to you May 11. The last chance to order is June 1, to be mailed July 1.
THIS EVENT IS RAIN OR SHINE!! THERE ARE NO REFUNDS FOR THIS EVENT! ALL REGISTRATIONS ARE FINAL! We will NOT send you a printed confirmation in the mail. You should see a confirmation page and receive an E-mail once you complete your registration. On the day of the event, you will merely need to give your name at the registration table. You can also register by mail by completing a downloadable registration form and mailing it with a check.
Helmets are Mandatory
Helmets should be ANSI, SNELL or CSPC approved, and must be brought to the registration desk. Cycling safety and strict adherence to all cycling rules of the road are imperative. Riding two, three and four abreast is a violation of traffic laws and safe riding practices. Not only does this put you at risk but also events like this.
Be safe – be considerate.